REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS
PERMITTING AND ENGINEERING DESIGN FOR THE
LEWIS ROAD GRAVITY SEWER SYSTEM AND PUMP STATION
WORCESTER COUNTY, MARYLAND
The Worcester County Commissioners are accepting proposals from Consulting
Engineering firms for assistance in permitting, design, bidding, construction management,
inspection services, and resident project representative services of the Lewis Road Sewage
Collection System and Pump Station. Sealed proposals will be accepted until 1:00 PM
Wednesday, October 13, 2021, in the Office of the County Commissioners. Envelopes shall be
marked "Lewis Road Sewage Collection System and Pumping Station Design Services" in the
lower left-hand corner. Specification packages and proposal forms are available from the Office
of the County Commissioners, Government Center - Room 103, One West Market Street, Snow
Hill, Maryland, 21863. A pre-proposal meeting will be held at 10:00 AM on Tuesday September
28, 2021 at the Water and Wastewater Division Administrative Office located at the Ocean Pines
WWTP, 1000 Shore Lane, Berlin, Maryland 21811. For directions or more details, please contact
John S. Ross, P.E., Deputy Director of Public Works, at 410-641-5251. In awarding the work,
the Commissioners reserve the right to reject any and all proposals, waive formalities,
informalities and technicalities therein, and to accept the proposal they determine to be in the best
interest of the County considering lowest or best proposal, qualifications of the firm, quality of
project approach, time of delivery or completion, responsibility of bidders being considered,
previous experience of bidders with County contracts, or any other factors they deem appropriate.
All inquiries will be directed to John Ross at 410-641-5251 Extension 2412.
WORCESTER COUNTY, MARYLAND
PERMITTING AND ENGINEERING DESIGN
LEWIS ROAD SEWAGE SYSTEM AND PUMP STATION DESIGN
The Worcester County Commissioners are accepting proposals from Consulting Engineering firms for
design, bidding, and construction phase services in the Landings Sanitary Service Area for the Lewis
Road Sewage collection System and Pump Station. A minimum of four (4) copies of proposals should
be submitted in sealed envelopes clearly marked "Lewis Road Sewage Collection System and
Pumping Station". Proposals shall be submitted no later than 1:00 PM Wednesday October 13, 2021.
2. Pre-Proposal Meeting
A pre-proposal meeting will be held on Tuesday September 28, 2021, at 10:00 AM at the Water and
Wastewater Division Administrative Office, located at the Ocean Pines Wastewater Treatment Plant,
1000 Shore Lane, Berlin, Maryland 21811. For directions and/or more details, please contact John S.
Ross, P.E. at 410-641-5251 between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
The Worcester County Commissioners are proposing to install a sewage collection system and pumping
station to serve the Lewis Road Area in the Landings Sanitary Service Area. The project is outlined in a
Preliminary Engineering Report prepared by the Engineering firm Davis, Bowen and Friedel in 2017
(available upon request). The project includes a lift station, approximately 4,800 linear feet of gravity
sewer lines with manholes and lateral sewers to serve approximately 50 homes. A force main has already
been constructed for the project. The force main is approximately 1,900 linear feet of 6 inch diameter,
HDPE pipe that was installed via directional drilling in 2008. The project also includes
decommissioning of the individual septic systems once the gravity sewer and lift station are
operational. Funding for the work has been secured from US Department of Agriculture, Rural
Development and American Rescue Plan Act. Payment requests, plans, specifications, bidding
standards, site signage, etc. must follow all funding agency standards.
4. Scope of Work
The selected consultant will develop construction plans and specifications, obtain all necessary permits,
assist in construction contractor solicitation through the competitive sealed bid process, and provide
construction phase services for the gravity sewage collection system and the pump station to pump
wastewater to the Landings Sewage Treatment Plant through an existing sewage force main. The
following specific tasks are required:
DESIGN PHASE SERVICES
1. Review the Preliminary Engineering Report and Environmental Report and confirm details
needed to design the system
2. Schedule and attend a kick-off meeting with County staff to finalize the scope of the project and
discuss project details and schedule.
3. Lift station shall include backup generator, automatic transfer switch, and all equipment and
appurtenances needed to connect to County SCADA system.
4. Obtain needed background information from on-site survey and aerial photography to design the
wastewater collection system and pump station.
5. Identify and address any wetlands issues and floodplain issues. The proposed pump station site
in the PER is located above the 100-year floodplain. The selected consultant shall survey the
proposed PER pump station site, or any other proposed pump station site, and verify elevations
prior to design to ensure all controls are a minimum of two (2) feet above the floodplain and that
no additional mitigation is required.
6. Coordinate a geotechnical consultant to obtain soil borings for proposed location of lift station
site to confirm suitable subsurface conditions exist to support the lift station structure and
7. Determine suitability of existing force main for use in proposed lift station design, including
pressure test of the force main.
8. Include design and permitting services for the decommissioning of the individual septic
systems served by the gravity sewer.
9. Prepare plats for any additional easements or right-of-way needed to accommodate proposed
10. Design documents (Plans and Specifications) shall be submitted for review at the 30%
(preliminary), 90% (pre-final) and final design phase
11. At the 90% design point, prepare and submit an application to MDE for the needed construction
12. Concurrently, obtain the needed approvals for Erosion and Sediment Control, Storm Water
Management as well as the required General Permit for Storm Water During Construction
13. Prepare a cost estimate for the project
14. Complete the final design by addressing regulatory and staff comments and provide three copies
of the final construction plans and specifications to the County for bidding. Additionally,
provide the documents in Adobe Acrobat form for electronic distribution to Contractors
BIDDING PHASE SERVICES
1. Solicitation of construction contractors shall be through competitive sealed bid process
following RUS Bulletin 1780-34 (attached).
2. Chair prebid meeting with construction contractors, record and distribute meeting minutes
3. Respond to contractor requests for information
4. Issue addendums
5. Review contractor bid packages, tabulate bids, provide written recommendation for award of
6. Check contractor suitability, ensure contractor is responsive and responsible bidder, including
but not limited to checking for any suspension and debarment issues.
7. Submit bid package and recommendation of award to funding agency for concurrence.
8. Provide value engineering recommendations in cases where bids come in higher than
construction funding available.
9. Assist in value engineering negotiations with bidders as needed.
CONSTRUCTION PHASE SERVICES
1. Chair preconstruction meeting with successful contractor, record and distribute meeting minutes
2. Review of project submittals
3. Respond to Requests for Information
4. Review of the project schedule
5. Chair monthly progress meetings and providing meeting minutes
6. Review contractor pay requests and make recommendations for payment
7. Prepare and submit payment reimbursement request to funding agencies
8. Conduct on-site conformational survey of critical elevations (i.e. lift station inverts, bottom
elevation, sewer manhole inverts, etc.).
9. Prepare as-built drawings based on contractor prepared red line drawings.
10. Overseeing pump station start-up
11. Scheduling and attending the final inspection of the construction, prepare the final punch list
12. Certifying project completion and providing final construction certification to the Maryland
Department of the Environment
13. Consultant shall provide an hourly rate for construction inspection services and include the
qualifications of the proposed construction inspector
5 Available Information
The following documents are available to assist consultants in preparing their proposals:
• Lewis Road Preliminary Engineering Report
• Design Drawings – Force Main between the Landings Wastewater Treatment Plant and Lewis
• Existing utility easement
• Worcester County Standard Terms and Conditions
Electronic versions of this Information will be provided on request.
6 Award of Contract
In awarding the work, the Commissioners reserve the right to reject any and all proposals, waive
formalities, informalities and technicalities herein, and accept the proposal determine to be in the best
interest of the County considering lowest or best price, quality of goods and work, time of delivery or
completion, responsibility of firms being considered, previous experience of firms with County
contracts, or any other factors they deem appropriate. By bidding on the contract, bidder agrees to all of
Worcester County’s Standard Terms and Conditions. Worcester County reserves the right to award the
contract in whole or in part based on the best interests of the County.
7. Proposal Content
Each proposal shall include the following information at a minimum:
• General Description of the Firm, including the office responsible for completion of the work
• Approach to completion of this project
• Management and Staffing Plan to identify the key personnel assigned to the project
• Qualifications of the firm, including specific qualifications of the Project Manager and key
• Quality Control program description
• References for similar projects
• Cost proposal as described in the Proposal Form
• Schedule of completion including major milestones of Percent Complete (30%, 60%, 90%, and
100%), Design Phase Surveying, Pressure Testing Force Main, and Permitting in Microsoft
Project gant chart format or equivalent. Highlight any critical path items