Request for Proposal/Quote
“Notice to Proposers”
Learning Management System
Learning Management System
Purpose of Purchase: To provide a comprehensive Learning Management System (LMS) for the
faculty, staff and students of WSU Tech
WSU Campus of Applied Sciences and Technology (WSU Tech)
4004 North Webb Road, Gateway Bldg., Wichita, KS 67226
No Monetary Guarantee Required
Scope Summary: The successful vendor will provide a cloud based, operational LMS along with one year of
maintenance and support. The LMS must be completely operational by the first week in. Deployment
options need to support a minimum of 3,500 FTE, 6000 headcount, and 6,000 annual course shells. The
college currently supports 82 full-time faculty and 251 part-time and affiliate faculty. The selected system
must be able to scale as course content is generated. That is, content storage is not limited; or there is a
pre-determined price for additional storage beyond a pre-determined quantity. The current system utilizes
nearly 2 TB of content storage and 100 GB of database storage. WSU Tech anticipates growth meeting or
exceeding these quantities. The content must be accessible and retrievable for an unlimited period. The
selected system must have a guaranteed up-time of 99% and provide safeguards (backups and
redundancies) in the event of catastrophic failure. Access to backed up course content must be made
available on-demand and restored within 24 hours if necessary.
READ THIS REQUEST CAREFULLY
From this point forward, all Contractors and Vendors shall be referred to as “Contractor”. Failure to abide by
all the conditions of this Request may result in the rejection of your proposal/quote. Inquiries about this
Request should indicate the RFP number and title and be directed to the Purchasing Team via email address
This notice to Contractors is intended to be used in conjunction with the Request for Proposal and all terms
Solicitation Reference Number: The above number has been assigned to this Solicitation and MUST be shown
on all correspondence or other documents associated with this Solicitation and MUST be referred to in all
verbal communications. All inquiries, written or verbal, shall be directed to the Purchasing Team via email
Failure to notify the Purchasing Team of any conflicts or ambiguities in this Solicitation for Proposal may result
in items being resolved in the best interest of WSU Tech. Any modification to this Request shall be made in
writing by addendum and mailed to all bidders who received the original request. Only written
communications are binding.
Sales Tax Determination: This Project has been determined by the Kansas Department of Revenue to be
exempt from Kansas Sales Tax(es). The cost of said tax must be EXCLUDED FROM all Bid and Contract prices.
Sales tax includes all applicable state, county, and city sales tax. If needed, WSU Tech will provide the
Contractor with a tax exemption number for their use.
Contact: For technical information regarding the project specified in this solicitation and to arrange for a site
Purchasing Team – email@example.com
Any correspondence by potential bidders, with WSU Tech, must be documented in writing and submitted to
the Purchasing Team, to be considered for any possible addenda, and/or in the evaluation of the
proposal/quote. Any change in specification shall be authorized only by the Purchasing Team and will be
issued by written addendum.
WSU Tech also reserves the right to waive minor informalities and reserves the right to:
1. Reject any and all proposals received in response to this RFP.
2. Select a proposal for contract negotiation other than the one with the lowest cost.
3. Negotiate any aspect of the proposal with any Vendor.
4. Terminate negotiations and select the next most responsive Vendor for contract
5. Terminate negotiations and prepare and release a new RFP.
6. Terminate negotiations and take such action as deemed appropriate.
Any decision to cancel or reject any and all proposals is in WSU Tech’s sole discretion. WSU Tech also
reserves the right to change the evaluation criteria or any other provision in this RFP by posting
notice of the change(s) on the Purchasing section of WSU Tech’s webpage. Vendors should check the
site daily for updates (e.g. amendments, responses to questions) and are expected to review
information on the site carefully before submitting a final proposal. Such changes or updates above
constitutes written notice to each Vendor.
Scope of Work/Specifications
Description: WSU Tech is requesting interested vendors to provide proposals on a Learning Management
System (LMS) that is compatible with Ellucian BANNER, as outlined within the attached specifications. WSU
Tech has composed a task force of 22 individuals who will select the top three vendors responding to the bid
proposal who meet specifications. The selected vendors will be requested to provide product demonstrations
Background: WSU Tech has been using Blackboard since 2012. Currently, WSU Tech is using Blackboard
Original SaaS (3900.65.0-rel.17+fc3b8f5) and Banner/Ellucian.
Vendor Qualifications: The successful vendor must have a minimum of four years continuous active
participation in the applicable industry, providing equipment/services comparable in size and complexity to
those specified herein. Vendor product does not rely on or utilize a Software as a Community.
Scope of Work The successful vendor will provide a cloud based, operational LMS along with one year of
maintenance and support. The LMS must be completely operational by the first week in. Deployment options
need to support a minimum of 3,500 FTE, 6000 headcount, and 6,000 annual course shells. The college
currently supports 82 full-time faculty and 251 part-time and affiliate faculty. The selected system must be
able to scale as course content is generated. That is, content storage is not limited; or there is a pre-
determined price for additional storage beyond a pre-determined quantity. The current system utilizes nearly
2 TB of content storage and 100 GB of database storage. WSU Tech anticipates growth meeting or exceeding
these quantities. The content must be accessible and retrievable for an unlimited period. The selected system
must have a guaranteed up-time of 99% and provide safeguards (backups and redundancies) in the event of
catastrophic failure. Access to backed up course content must be made available on-demand and restored
within 24 hours if necessary.
- Ability to migrate content from our Blackboard Original to your LMS
- Ability for instructors to import/export/copy content between courses.
- Administrative settings that lock down the look and feel of the user interface.
- Supports role impersonating or masquerading for faculty and students
- System check for users to identify operating system browser, and plug-in issues. If the system is not capable
of this, it must integrate with an existing user-developed customization.
- Support multiple languages/language packs, including, but not limited to English, Simplified Chinese, and
Mobile Learning Applications
- Support mobile learning on Android and iOS devices.
Class Management & Gradebook
- Team/Group management feature with the ability of group grading.
- Instructors can share content with other instructors.
- Instructors can create a custom learning path for students by controlling access to materials and tests.
- Instructors can preview student view of course and/or preview/test student user.
- Gradebook must be designed with points and/or weights/percentages.
- Track attendance tool is available.
- Gradebook results for students must be available in letter grades, scores, percentages, and text format
- Provide submission dates for assignments in gradebook.
- Selective release of assignments based on grades and membership.
- Gradebook must be capable of dropping the lowest scores, highest score, and average score (quizzes,
- Gradebook assignments must be able to be rearranged and reordered.
- Handle extra credit and automatic zeros along with supporting minus (-) scores.
- Gradebook must provide first, highest, and average grade submissions.
- Include a roster tool. Also needs to support photos and/or avatars.
- Submissions need to trigger feedback alerts to faculty for assignments and quizzes.
- Support of attachments from students and instructors for assignments and quizzes.
- Support batch downloading and uploading of assignments and assignments with attachments.
- Support notifications for status-to-date noting only assignments currently due/graded.
- Support notifications for status-to-date based on total points available for course.
- Signal the student to view instructor feedback for assignments and quizzes.
- Gradebook export in a spreadsheet format of both .xls and .csv.
- Gradebook export a single student's scores in .xls and .cvs.
- Gradebook support categories for assignments and scores.
- Gradebook items can be reorganized.
- Ability to view/edit scores in a category.
- Ability to exclude lowest scores within a category of calculations.
- Supports various criteria in calculating scores, excluding both the highest and lowest scores.
- Supports weighted scores.
- Allow including/excluding scores in calculating either course or category grade.
- Calculate student statistics for an item by average, mean or media while showing/not showing students.
- Grade entry by individual student assignment or class.
- Grade entry with detailed feedback with and without attachments.
- Grade entry with sufficient feedback detail. Written feedback per student entry must be a minimum of 140
- Use of rubrics and outcomes that can be attached to offline assignments and visible to students.
- Peer evaluation, both anonymous and double-blind.
- Peer grading/ranking of discussion posts.
- Instructors can utilize pools and random blocks of questions. Random blocks can be drawn directly from
- LMS supports a predictive “What If” grade feature.
Assessment & Rubrics
- Allow proctored passwords to ensure assessment security.
- Customization by adjusting time and number of attempts for individual students.
- Randomize quiz answers.
- Randomize quiz questions.
- Randomize questions from a pool of questions.
- Display of questions one at a time or all at once.
- Navigation control and correct feedback.
- Re-grade assessments.
- Supports NCLEX assessment types, including Bowtie.
- Embed videos and graphics into assessments or into question responses.