MOVEABLE BRIDGE MITER JOINTS
PART 1 – GENERAL
The Work included in this Contract and as specified in this Section includes the detailed design of
components, preparation of shop drawings, manufacture, testing, inspection, shop assembly, packaging,
shipping, delivery, unloading and stacking of all replacements for Conley Joint materials and associated
hardware for the provision of two sets of replacement joints, at the Port of Los Angeles, in the vicinity of
A. Work included in this Section encompasses work necessary for the design, manufacturing and
fabrication of equivalently performing Moveable Bridge Miter Joints as specified in the General
1.2 REFERENCE SPECIFICATIONS
Except as modified herein, Moveable Bridge Miter Joints shall be designed, manufactured, tested,
assembled, inspected, shipped, unloaded and stacked in accordance with requirements for equivalent
special trackwork manganese castings as provided in the current American Railway Engineering and
Maintenance of Way Association Portfolio of Trackwork Plans, and the current AREMA Manual for Railway
A. General Information
1. The Conley Joints are presently installed on the POLA maintained Badger Bridge crossing
Cerritos Channel, providing access for trains from the Port of Los Angeles and Long Beach
accessing the Port of Los Angeles and the Port of Long Beach facilities on Terminal Island.
2. The types of Moveable Bridge Miter Joints to be included are replacements for proprietary
Conley Joints presently installed on the Badger Bridge at the Port of Los Angeles.
3. Special trackwork (including existing Conley Joints) in the Port of Los Angeles area is subjected
to heavy unit train traffic, mainly double stack intermodal trains. These trains contain cars with
125-ton tracks and axle loads of up to 42 tons.
4. The standard track gauge for the system is 4 feet 8-1/2 inches.
5. The standard running rail section is 136-10 rail.
6. Moveable Bridge Miter Joints on the Badger Bridge will be mounted on existing steel girders
attached to the Bridge. The replacement Moveable Bridge Miter Joints must be designed and
manufactured to exactly replace all or portions of existing Conley Joints, including bolt and
B. Technical Requirements
1. The design of special trackwork in the Port of Los Angeles generally follows the AREMA
2. Application of AREMA recommended practice at this location requires that the Moveable Miter
Joints are to be directly bolted to steel girders mounted on the Badge Bridge.
3. All moveable Bridge Miter Joints shall be explosion-hardened manganese castings.