City of Malibu
Request for Proposals
Communications Support and Strategy
Release Date: November 21, 2019
Submissions Due: 4:00 pm on January 6, 2020
The City of Malibu is seeking proposals from qualified firms to augment the City’s media
team’s ongoing communications work and provide communication and outreach
strategies to increase community engagement and awareness of City activities citywide.
The City of Malibu (City) is a coastal city located in the northwestern portion of Los
Angeles County, California has a population of approximately 13,000. The City was
incorporated in 1991, operates under the Council/Manager form of government and is
considered a contract city. The five members of the City Council are elected at-large.
They serve staggered four-year terms, with the Mayor being selected from among the
The City covers approximately 21 miles along the coast and offers a full range of
municipal services. The City has 80 full-time employees and 13 full-time equivalent part-
time employees. The City, organized into 7 departments, provides a number of services
in-house including management and administrative services, building safety, community
services, environmental sustainability, planning, public works and engineering. Police
and fire services are provided via contract with Los Angeles County. Other services
such as the City Attorney, water, street maintenance and garbage collection services
are also provided via contract or from Los Angeles County. The City of Malibu’s
Adopted Fiscal Year 2019-2020 General Fund Operating Budget is $31.7 million.
The City’s media team is responsible for the management and development of the
City’s communications and public relations through the use of traditional media outlets,
the internet and social media. The media team develops content, graphics, printed
materials and videos to promote and support City activities. As part of this work, the
media team maintains the City’s website, social media platforms and the Malibu City TV
which is also available for viewing on the City’s website and YouTube channel.
2. Scope of Services
The selected firm shall augment the City’s media team’s ongoing communications work
and provide communication and outreach strategies to increase community
engagement and awareness of City activities citywide including but not limited to the
1. Review and monitor the use of the City’s communication channels including
social media platforms, the city's media channels, print materials, videos,
surveys, and other communication methods
2. Create and schedule posts to City's social media platforms, including Facebook,
Twitter, Instagram and Nextdoor
3. Develop content for the City’s website and website generated e-notifications and
4. Draft written materials including press releases, Letters to the Editor, and op-ed
5. Develop communication campaigns to help launch new City initiatives
6. Identify topics for press releases, Letters to the Editor, op-ed pieces, City website
and media campaigns based on knowledge of city activities and priorities
7. Review Council Agendas and Meetings, City website, and local news for
opportunities for information sharing with the public
8. Facilitate communication strategy discussions with designated City contact(s)
9. Develop a strategic communication plan to increase community engagement and
awareness of civic activities, projects and programs
10. Provide leadership and direction for the implementation and maintenance of a
citywide strategic communication plan
11. Advise department’s social media managers on the use of department’s social
12. Develop and maintain a 12-month calendar for City communications and a
related implementation plan
13. Answer communication related questions, develop strategies, stakeholder
outreach or otherwise aid in the City’s communication efforts as needed
14. Have sufficient staffing to provide media support 7 days a week as needed
15. Assist with messaging and all communication related tasks as needed during
16. Develop, monitor and report on communications metrics
17. Provide City staff with advice on stakeholder outreach, communication efforts,
and public engagement initiatives
18. Provide translation services for written and audio communications
19. Additional media assistance may include photography services, video production
services, graphic design support, speech writing, presentation preparation, media
training, drafting or reviewing media and communication policies and procedures
and working with City consultants and external stakeholders
3.1 Proposal Requirements
Proposals should not include any materials to be returned to the consultant and should be
a concise statement. Each proposal must include the following information:
1. Organization, Credentials and Experience
a. Provide a summary of the company’s qualifications, credentials and
related past experience.
b. Describe the size of your company; indicate the principal, company
official, project manager, as well as all other personnel who will be
assigned to the work.
c. Provide a list of three (3) of the company’s similar clients including the
names, titles, addresses, and telephone numbers of the appropriate
persons which the City can contact.
2. Understanding of the Scope of Work
a. Provide a narrative of the company’s understanding of the Scope of Work
and a proposal to perform the work.
3. Professional Services Agreement
a. The selected provider must use and comply with the terms and conditions
of the City’s standard Professional Services Agreement as provided in
Attachment 1 of this Request for Proposals (RFP).
a. A written statement that the Consultant shall comply with the California
Labor Code. Pursuant to said regulations entitled: Federal Labor
Standards provisions; Federal Prevailing Wage Decision; and State of
California Prevailing Wage Rates, respectively.
a. Firms are required to list past, current, or pending litigation resulting from
professional services rendered over the past five years. If a court or an
arbitrator rendered a decision, state the results.
a. Provide a minimum of three references for current or recent projects or
work assignments within the last five years of similar scope and content.
a. Under Separate Cover, provide a rate proposal for the project based on
the proposed scope of work.
a. The City intends to award a professional service agreement for a base
term of two years.
3.2 Submittal Procedure
Clarifications: The City will respond to requests for clarification to the Request for
Proposals in written RFP Addendum(s) as needed. Inquiries should be directed by
email only to email@example.com. No verbal requests will be accepted. All
requests for clarification must be received by December 27, 2019.
Please provide six (6) printed and bound copies of your proposals to:
Elizabeth Shavelson, Assistant to the City Manager
City of Malibu
23825 Stuart Ranch Road
Malibu, CA 90265
All Proposals are due no later than 4:00 p.m. on Monday, January 6, 2020.
The City reserves the right to extend the deadline or accept a late submittal with good
Response Preparations: No reimbursement will be made by the City for costs incurred in
the preparation of the response to this Request for Proposals. Submitted materials will
not be returned and become the property of the City of Malibu.
Right to Reject Submittals: Submission of proposals indicates acceptance by the firm of
the conditions contained in this request for proposals unless clearly and specifically
noted in the submittal and confirmed in the agreement between the City of Malibu and
the firm selected. The City of Malibu reserves the right without prejudice to reject any or