REQUEST FOR PROPOSAL
Submit Bid To
UNIVERSITY OF KANSAS MEDICAL CENTER
DEPARTMENT OF PURCHASING
Mail Stop 2034
3901 Rainbow Blvd., Kansas City, KS 66160
If additional information is desired, contact Hayley Unke-Moore at firstname.lastname@example.org or 913 588 1117
Quotation No. RQ-00069
Date Mailed 9/21/23
Closing 2:00 pm Central 10/18/23
Items and Specifications
KUMC seeks to procure bids for On-Call Refrigeration and Lab Equipment Repair Services to fulfill the
requirements as outlined in the included specifications. KUMC reserves the right to negotiate with selected
finalists should it be deemed necessary.
Pre-bid Conference - A mandatory in-person pre-bid conference will be held on Thursday, October 5, 2023 at
10:00am Central time.
All interested bidders must contact Hayley Unke-Moore at email@example.com no later than end of day
Tuesday, October 3, 2023 to RSVP for the pre-bid meeting. Doors to the KUMC campus are locked and
access is limited. After you RSVP, instructions will be provided on where to park and meet to attend the pre-
Attendance is mandatory at the pre-bid conference. Impromptu questions may be permitted, and spontaneous
unofficial answers provided. However, bidders should understand that the only official answer or position of
KUMC will be presented in writing.
• KUMC RFQ Guidelines.pdf
• RQ-00069 Project cost worksheet.xlsx
• KUMC Campus map.pdf
All suppliers must submit the following documents as part of their bid.
1. A signed copy of the KUMC RFQ guidelines.
2. Completed labor rates as found on pages 4 and 5 on this document.
3. An excel version of RQ-00069 project cost worksheet.xlsx.
Page 1 of 5
The University of Kansas Medical Center is requesting technical and cost proposals to provide on-call services
for refrigeration and lab equipment repair services. Work may be performed throughout the University of
Kansas Medical Center areas including the main campus to the north and south of 39th St., Fairway North, and
CRC buildings on the Fairway campus.
This RFQ consists of completion of all forms in their entirety and completion of a pricing proposal for the
attached CTSU Project cost worksheet. List scopes of work that your company will not be self-performing.
The on-call contract portion of this RFQ may be awarded to more than one supplier.
The University of Kansas Medical Center is requesting a three (3)-year contract with option to renew for two
(2) additional one (1)-year periods, if mutually agreed upon by both parties and subject to annual appropriations
by the governing body.
Contractor will be available at short notice to perform the work outlined in the scope of work below on an as
needed basis throughout the medical center. Job sizes range from work order sized projects to limited
renovations of various departments on the medical center campus and Fairway locations listed above. The
contractor must have the ability and willingness to work with: in-house or on-call architects, engineers,
construction forces, and sub-contractors.
Scope of Work
It is understood that a contractor may not self-perform all scopes of work that might be needed on our projects.
Contractor shall manage their own forces and their subcontractors as required for a complete job, as outlined by
contract documents and/or a formal walkthrough of the agency requested scope of work.
General Scopes of Work
1. Service, repair, and preventive maintenance of refrigeration equipment such as -80 freezers, -20 freezers,
+4 Refrigerators, Standard Refrigerators, Walk-in coolers, Cold Rooms, and ice machines.
2. Service, repair, and preventive maintenance of lab water filtration equipment, such as Labconco DI/RO
water point of use stations.
3. Service, repair, and preventive maintenance of refrigerated lab equipment such as centrifuges, etc.
4. Service, repair, and preventive maintenance of VRF HVAC equipment and mini-split HVAC systems.
5. Service, repair, and preventive maintenance of other miscellaneous lab equipment.
Qualifications and Criteria for Award:
The award will be made to the most qualified and responsive bidder whose bid meets the requirements and
criteria set forth in this proposal, including the criteria below:
1. Licensed contractor in specified trade in Kansas and Missouri.
2. The contractor shall have experience in specified trade for a minimum of 10 years.
3. Must have ability to service projects in a timely manner
4. List what applicable stamps/certifications the company’s employees carry, if any.
5. Must have a single point of contact and ability to devote same set of workers to projects and service work.
6. Must have the ability to work with in-house or on-call architects, engineers, construction forces to help
trouble shoot/suggest cost savings/improvements to design.
7. List labor rates and how they are structured.
Page 2 of 5
8. Previous experience at KUMC is preferable.
10. Must be able to staff the projects or service work accordingly for the size of each job and keep the same
staff during the entire project.
11. Must be located within 30 miles for the main University of Kansas Medical Center campus.
All work under this contract shall be compliant with local and adopted State Code requirements. All work is
subject to inspection by the architect/engineer and the authority having jurisdiction. (Jurisdiction may be
State of Kansas, Unified Government, and City of Fairway depending on funding source of the Project and
Cost Sheet - Commercial Refrigeration and Lab Equipment Repair Services
It is our intent to award this to multiple suppliers. There will be times when the awarded supplier(s) will be
asked to provide a competing quote for projects.
Hourly billing rates to include:
1. Contractor employee pay rate
2. Employer FICA contributions
3. Employee federal and State unemployment insurance costs
4. Workmen’s Compensation, Fidelity and liability insurance costs
5. General administrative and overhead expenses
6. Project estimating time
7. Gross profit margin
8. Any additional employee payroll contributions.
It is anticipated that most of the work to be performed by contractor’s employee(s) will be on the University of
Kansas Medical Center Campus and Fairway Campus. The University of Kansas Medical Center will incur no
expenses other than the flat hourly rate stated herein.
Page 3 of 5
RQ-00069 On-call Refrigeration and Lab
Equipment Repair Services
List scopes of work that your company self performs and fill in the labor rates
Please clearly note (by a check) what scopes of work that your company self performs and what scopes of work
you will sub-contract out.
General Scopes of Work Self-
-80 freezers, -20 freezers,
+4 Refrigerators, Standard
Walk-in coolers, Cold
Lab water filtration
Refrigerated lab equipment
such as centrifuges
VRF HVAC equipment
and mini-split HVAC
Page 4 of 5
RQ-00069 On-call Refrigeration and Lab
Equipment Repair Services
List any scopes of work not listed above that your company performs or sub-contracts out, and fill in the
Note: these shall be “not to exceed” amounts
General Scopes of Self-
Standard OT &
Performed Contract Rates
Materials and Subcontractor Markups
Unless KUMC chooses to supply materials and/or equipment, the contractor shall purchase and supply all
materials for a project. Materials shall be invoiced at a cost % markup.
Overhead and profit shall be applied as follows.
1. The overhead and profit charged by the contractor and subcontractors shall be considered to include but
not limited to; jobs site office and clerical expenses, normal hand tools, incidental job supervision, field
supervision, payroll costs and other compensation for project manager, executives, estimators, attorneys,
auditors, purchasing and contracting agents, and other personnel employed whether at the site or in the
office for general superintendent and administration of the work.
2. The percentages for overhead and profit charged on estimates/change orders can be negotiated due to the
complexity of the work but in no case shall exceed the following:
a. 15% To the contractor for work performed by their respective forces or materials purchased.
b. 5% To the subcontractor on work performed by their respective forces or materials purchased.
In addition to providing contract pricing for standard maintenance and services in the tables above, there will
also be a reality-based project to quote, that will be used to assess each bidder. This will be discussed in further
detail during the mandatory pre-bid meeting.
CTSU Equipment Maintenance Service Project
The basic scope of work for this project is as follows:
• Provide costs for performing scheduled maintenance at the identified frequencies on the equipment in the included
excel list RQ-00069 project cost worksheet.xlsx.
Page 5 of 5