CITY OF MANCHESTER
Department of Public Works
475 Valley Street, Manchester NH 03103
INVITATION TO BID
Sealed bids will be received at the Department of Public Works, 475 Valley Street, Manchester,
New Hampshire, before or at 2:30 PM prevailing time of the 21st day of March, 2018 for
the following items:
WASHED SAND ½” STONE
1 ½” STONE
6” – 12” STONE FILL
LOAM (Class A)
GRAVEL BANK RUN
GRAVEL CRUSHED BANK RUN
Bid Invitations and specifications are available online at:
Questions regarding this request should be directed to Mrs. Mindy Salomone-Abood, Purchasing
Agent via email at Purchasing@manchesternh.gov .
The Public Works Director reserves the right to waive any irregularities, reject any or all bids,
and to accept the bid that appears to be in the best interest of the City. Failure to submit all
information called for may be sufficient for disqualification.
Kevin A. Sheppard, P.E.
Public Works Director
1. Bids will be received by the City of Manchester, New Hampshire at the place and until
the time specified in the Invitation to Bid and then publicly read aloud for the information
of Bidders and others properly interested who may be present either in person or by
representative. NO BIDS WILL BE ACCEPTED AFTER TIME AND DATE
2. The following meanings are attached to the defined works when used in this document:
a. The word "City" means City of Manchester, New Hampshire.
b. The word "Bidder" means the person, firm, or corporation
submitting a bid on these specifications or any part thereof.
c. The word "Contractor" means the person, firm, or corporation with
whom the Contract is being made by carrying out the provisions of this
Sealed Bid Invitation and the Contract.
d. The words "firm price" shall mean a guarantee against price increase
during the life of the Contract.
3. Strict compliance with the requirements of the Invitation to Bid, terms and conditions,
and the instructions printed is necessary. All blank spaces must be filled in. Any
changes and/or corrections shall be marked in red and initialed by the person making
such corrections. Signatures of the responsible owner/representative of the firm must be
in ink. No reproductions/duplications/copies will be accepted.
4. Each bid must give the full business address of Bidder and be signed by him with his
usual signature. Bids by partnerships must furnish the full names of all partners and must
be signed with the partnership name by one of the members of the partnership or by an
authorized representative, followed by the signature and title of the person signing. Bids
by corporations must be signed with the legal name of the corporation, followed by the
state of incorporation and by the signature and title of president, secretary, or other
person authorized to bind it in the matter. The name of each person signing shall also be
typed or printed below the signature. A bid by a person who affixes to his signature the
word "president", "secretary", "agent", or other title without disclosing his principal may
be held to be the bid of the individual signing. When requested by the City, satisfactory
evidence of the authority of the officer signing on behalf of the corporation shall be
5. Bids must be securely sealed in a suitable envelope (facsimile and emailed submissions
will not be accepted), addressed and marked on the outside as follows:
The entire solicitation document is to be returned when submitting a proposal, unless
otherwise directed by the solicitation document. Failure to return all pages may result in
a determination that the submittal is non-responsive.
PLEASE NOTE: THE CITY OF MANCHESTER IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR
BIDS NOT PROPERLY MARKED.
6. It will be the responsibility of the Bidder to see that their bid is received by the
Purchasing Division as specified.
7. Each bid is received with the understanding that the acceptance in writing via email by
the City of the Bidder to furnish any or all of the products/services described therein or as
otherwise negotiated, shall constitute a contract between the Bidder (Contractor) and the
City, which shall bind the Bidder (Contractor) on his part to furnish and deliver the
articles offered at the prices agreed upon and in accordance with the terms and conditions
of said accepted bid; and the City on its part to order from such Bidder (Contractor),
except for causes beyond reasonable control; and pay for, at the agreed prices, all
products/services specified and delivered.
8. A contract agreement that is customarily employed by the City will be used when/if the
contract is extended in subsequent years (periods). The extension will incorporate the
original Invitation to Bid and terms and conditions of the Sealed Bid Invitation. A copy
of the Contract Agreement is attached hereto.
9. Bids may be withdrawn upon written or electronic request received from Bidders prior to
the time affixed for opening. Negligence on the part of the Bidder in preparing the bid
confers no right for the withdrawal of the bid after it has been opened.
10. The solicitation document maintained by the Purchasing Division, in the appropriate file
folder, shall be considered the official copy. In the case of any inconsistency between bid
documents submitted to the City, but not clearly listed on the exception page of the
document or as an exception by the Bidder, the language of the official copy shall
prevail. Furthermore, any exception or changes to the specifications made by the Bidder
may be cause to disqualify your bid.
11. No oral interpretations will be made to any Bidder as to the meaning of the specifications
or terms and conditions of this Sealed Bid Invitation. Every request for such
interpretation or request for a change in the specifications or terms and conditions shall
be made in writing, addressed and forwarded to:
Five (5) or more working days before the date fixed for the opening of bids. Every
interpretation made to a Bidder will be in the form of an addendum to the Sealed Bid
Invitation which, if issued, will then be posted on the website:
www.manchesternh.gov/bids. All such addenda shall become a part of the complete
Sealed Bid Invitation. It is the Bidder’s responsibility to check the website prior to the
submittal deadline to ensure that the Bidder has a complete, up-to-date bid package.
12. Bids that are incomplete, not properly endorsed or signed, or otherwise contrary to these
instructions may be rejected as informal by the City. The Bid must be filled out
completely and accurately. Please explain in detail any exceptions or deviations taken on
this bid. Separate pages may be used if necessary.
13. Bids must be submitted on the Bid Schedule hereinafter provided. Prices shall be clearly
and fully stated in units of quantities specified. No additional charges shall be passed to
the City, including any applicable taxes, delivery or surcharges that have not already been
disclosed on the bid schedule. In case of discrepancy in computing the amount of the bid,
the unit prices quoted will govern.
14. Quotations should include all charges for delivery, packing, crating, containers, etc.
Unless otherwise stated by the Bidder, prices quoted will be considered as being
based on delivery to the destination designated, including any and all freight and
15. As the City is exempt from the payment of federal excise taxes, all prices quoted herein
are not to include these taxes.
16. Prices stated shall remain firm for the duration of the contract.
17. It is understood and agreed that in the event of failure/default on the part of the
Contractor to indicate date of delivery and/or completion, delivery and/or completion will
be made within three (3) business days from date of receipt of order. Should the
successful Contractor fail to make delivery or complete the contract within time
specified, the City reserves the right to procure the equipment/product from other
sources, and hold the Contractor liable for any excess cost.
18. The City reserves the right to postpone the delivery date to allow for any change in
operating conditions or for any other cause not now foreseen. In the event the City elects
to exercise this right, all prices quoted pursuant to this Sealed Bid Invitation will remain
firm, and the City shall incur no additional obligation to the Contractor on account of any
delay of delivery date ordered by the City.
19. It is agreed that deliveries and/or completion are subject to strikes, lockouts, accidents,
and acts of God.
20. The time of proposed delivery must be stated in definite terms. If time of delivery for
different products/services varies, the Bidder shall so state.
21. The City reserves the right to divert delivery from one location to another, and to allow
for any change in operation conditions or for any other cause not now foreseen and to
proportion deliveries according to available storage facilities.
22. Samples, when requested, must be furnished free of expense. Upon request, if not
destroyed, sample will be returned at the bidders risk and expense.
23. Any equipment/product delivered must be standard new and unused, latest model, except
as otherwise specifically stated in the proposal. Where any part or the normal accessories
of equipment/product is not described, it shall be understood that all equipment/product
and accessories that are usually provided in the manufacturer’s stock model shall be
24. Unless otherwise stated by the Bidder, the proposal will be considered as being in strict
accordance with the specifications outlined in this Sealed Bid Invitation. References to a
particular trade name, manufacturer's catalogue, or model number, are made for
descriptive purposes to guide the Bidder in interpreting the requirements of the City.
They should not be construed as excluding proposals on other types of materials,
equipment and supplies. However, the Bidder, if awarded a Contract, will be required to
furnish the particular item referred to in the specifications or descriptions unless a
departure or substitution is clearly noted and described in the proposal.