Statement of Work for the Rehabilitation of
District 5, Area 1 Building #5-1018
The below is intended to provide the establishment of a contract to construct a structure for the Kansas
Department of Transportation (KDOT) utilizing the existing roof and trusts of Building 5-1018.
1. JOB LOCATION: ½ mile E. of Jct. US 160 & US 183 at the District 5 Area 1 Coldwater Sub Area
2. KDOT RESPONSIBILITES: KDOT will tear down the existing structure and set aside the roof and
trusts to be used in this project. Reinstallation of the roof system will be performed by
3. JOB DESCRIPTION: The contractor will construct a concrete structure based on the specifications
and plans provided by KDOT that will include:
• Removal of existing asphalt pad/floor which is estimated to be 6” thick. All material will
become property of the contractor and removed from the site. All work and removal of
asphalt will be included in the bid item “Removal of Existing Structures”.
• Excavation, compaction, and placing foundation stabilization (AB-3)
• Forming footings, walls, and placing reinforcing steel to the dimensions in the plans
• Placing concrete in formed areas and on grade for the slab to the plan dimensions
• Backfill and compaction of soil around the new concrete structure upon proper curing
• Setting anchor bolts atop the formed walls and securing the CCA/ACQ sill plate
• Placing a concrete masonry coating to all exterior exposed concrete surfaces
o Concrete floor will be power troweled only
o Concrete walls will have tie holes filled inside and out with standard masonry
mortar mix and smoothed out per KDOT spec.
o Contractor will need to include rebar chairs for the floor rebar in this bid
o The concrete is a KDOT 4.0 mix design. See attached spec.
o No requirement to buy American steel
o Concrete test will be taken by KDOT during the pours.
• KDOT sub area supervisor will set the new building locations and final floor elevation.
• Foundation Stabilization shall consist of approved AB-3.
• Existing subgrade, foundation stabilization shall be compacted to Type B compaction
(90% maximum density) and may be determined by the walk-out method or verified by
• 6” of Foundation Stabilization (AB-3) shall be utilized under the concrete slab and is
included in the quantity.
4. CONTACT: The contact for this project will be:
General questions: Bryan Hamel, KDOT District 5 Staff Engineer, phone 620-727-3713, e-mail
Field questions: Gene Watts, Area Superintendent, phone 316-217-0380, email
Gene.Watts@ks.gov: Martyn Howard, Sub Area supervisor, phone 620-921-1831, email
5. MANDATORY PRE-BID CONFERENCE: There will be a mandatory pre-bid conference outlining the
scope of the project, specifications and to visit the job site.
6. The contractor shall provide all equipment, material (except for the existing roof and trusts),
labor and incidentals to perform the work shown in the plans.
7. START DATE: The contractor start date will be determined later. The early start date will be
June 1st, 2020 with the late start date of July 1st, 2020.
8. COMPLETION DATE: The contract is set with 45 working days to complete, working days are as
defined in the 2015 Specifications for State Road and Bridge Construction.