Call to Artist RFP for A Utility Box Art Beautification Program
The City of Commerce is issuing a Call to Artists for interested Artists to complete an application to be reviewed and selected by the City’s Beautification Committee to participate in painting utility boxes throughout the City of Commerce.
Utility Box Art Beautification Program, is a public art beautification program designed to transform common traffic control utility boxes in the City, into distinctive works of art, creating a more vibrant, attractive cityscape. The program also celebrates local artists and their artwork, acts as a deterrent to graffiti, and involves the City and County residents in contributing to the beautification of the city.
ARTIST GUIDELINES AND REQUIREMENTS:
B. Artist Stipend
- All artists, over 18 years old, residing in Los Angeles County or the City of Commerce are eligible.
- Members of the Beautification Committee and their families are ineligible.
- Entries must be the original design and artwork of the entrant and suitable for viewing by all ages.
C. City Responsibilities
- Artists will be awarded an $800 stipend, this is inclusive of all artist fees, paints, and materials. Upon selection and execution of the Artist Agreement, artists will receive an initial disbursement of funds at 50% ($400), with the remaining 50% ($400) paid upon completion of the project.
- Completion of the project must be verified by the Beautification Committee and City Council before funds are disbursed.
D. Description & Location of Utility Boxes
- City will be responsible to wash and prime the cabinet before the artwork can begin at a specific location. The cabinet will be washed with soap and water, as well as coat with two coats of the following product: Bulls Eye Primer 1-2-3 All Surfaces by Zinsser. The primer’s color is gray.
- After the completion of the artwork, the City will apply anti-graffiti coating.
- The dimensions of the boxes vary at each location. Some locations have more than one box and artists should include all boxes at a single site in their design.
- The specific sites and information about the boxes on each site can be found on the Location Map.
- Artist will be assigned a box or boxes, unless the artist specifically requests a location. However, the City cannot guarantee that the requested location will be assigned to the Artist.
F. Artwork Themes
- Artist is responsible for all art materials and supplies required for creation of the artwork and protection of the surrounding area (paint, brushes, buckets, tarps, etc.).
- High quality, low-sheen or semi-gloss external acrylic latex paint must be used and it must cover all exposed sides and top of the box(es). Dark colors should be used sparingly due to the potential for overheating of the utility box(es).
G. Application Requirements
- Creativity and innovation of design are encouraged.
- Artwork theme is encouraged but is not required to:
- represent various aspects of the City’s history, heritage and culture, or geography
- reflect the specific neighborhood or area of the box location.
- Artwork must not contain:
- written materials (words/sentences)
- political statements or persons
- religious references, symbols or numbers
- copyrighted or trademarked material
- corporate or organizational branding
- Print, complete and sign an application form, and:
- Include a detailed description describing your design theme. Indicate if your theme has specific relevance to the City of Commerce’s history, culture, heritage or geography; or to a specific location. This must be attached to the application. Please limit description to one page.
- On the application form, you may request a particular box location, although there is no guarantee any artist will be assigned their requested location.
- Create full color, detailed concept drawings. Use the template provided. Show each side and top of the largest box. Boxes vary in size and shape, so be prepared to accommodate your assigned box. Some sites have a second box. If applicable, provide a drawing for that box which compliments your main design.
- Designs are accepted as either:
- only single sided full color printouts or drawings on 8.5 x 11 sheets using the template provided. Print identification at the bottom of each sheet as follows:
Artist last name_artist 1st initial_001
- jpg files of full color scanned art created using the template provided as a guide. Images should be between 150-180 dpi. Save the files as follows:
Artist last name_artist 1st initial_001.jpg.
H. Submission of Entry
- Read and sign the Utility Box Art Beautification Program Participant Release of Liability Form.
- Complete and sign the Artist’s Application Form.
- Attach a detailed description about your design. The should be clearly printed or typed up. Please limit to one page.
- Attach samples of work, colored images required.
- Attach completed, initialed and signed Application Checklist and Certification Form.
I. Selection Process and Criteria
- Artist can submit up to 3 designs. Only 1 design per artist will be chosen.
- Entries must be postmarked, emailed or hand delivered no later than November 9, 2016, by 5:00 p.m.
J. General Guidelines
- Designs will be reviewed and selected by the City of Commerce’s Beautification Committee
- The Beautification Committee will submit recommendations for final approval to the City Council. All decisions are final.
- All the submitted designs for each site will be viewed as a group. Follow the application requirements to ensure your entry is considered.
- Art should be visible from a distance.
- Art cannot restrict any vents or airflow through the box(es).
- Any nameplates, keyholes, ID numbers, and windows must be left unpainted and uncovered.
- An area on a box will be specified for use in affixing a label that shows the name of the artist and any sponsor(s).
- Installation will begin only after design approval and completion of all required liability and contract forms.
- Artwork is a long-term installation and becomes the property of the City of Commerce.
- Artists must complete the project within a stipulated time frame. On acceptance, a time frame will be established.
- Artists and any assistants are required to sign a liability waiver prior to start of the project.
- All questions must be received by November 2, 2016, by 5:00 p.m.