|Agency:||Broadcasting Board of Governors|
|State:||District of Columbia|
|Type of Government:||Federal|
|Posted Date:||Oct 10, 2017|
|Bid Source:||Please Login to View Page|
|Contact information:||Please Login to View Page|
|Bid Documents:||Please Login to View Page|
Solicitation Number :
Notice Type :
Justification and Approval (J&A)
J&A Statutory Authority :
FAR 6.302-1 - Only one responsible source (except brand name)
Contract Award Date :
September 29, 2017
Contract Award Number :
Added: Oct 10, 2017 10:07 amJUSTIFICATION FOR OTHER THAN FULL AND OPEN COMPETITION
"The Associated Press News Wire Services"
1. Identification of the agency and the contracting activity.
This justification for other than full and open competition has been prepared by the Office of Contracts, Broadcasting Board of Governors (BBG), 330 Independence Ave, SW, Washington, DC 20237.
2. Nature and/or description of the action being approved.
The action being approved is the non-competitive award of contract number BBG50-C-17-0028 to The Associated Press for news wire services. The BBG awarded the contract on 9/29/2017 after publicizing the required pre-solicitation notice of intent.
3. A description of the supplies or services required to meet the agency's needs (including estimated value).
The BBG requires the services of a news wire agency from one of the largest and most comprehensive, globally trusted and highly-regarded news wire service providers that can provide the BBG with text, video, and photos/graphics news wire services, including archived content in order to satisfy the news wire service needs of the five networks that the BBG oversees: The Voice of America (VOA), Office of Cuba Broadcasting, Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty (RFE/RL), Radio Free Asia (RA), and Middle East Broadcasting Network (MBN). Together, the BBG networks provide high-quality journalism and programming to an unduplicated audience across all media of more than 278 million people around the world each week. The networks' estimated unduplicated audience consists of 174 million people on television, 130 million on radio, and 45 million on internet.
The value of this procurement is $19,150,000 over a five-year period.
4. An identification of the statutory authority permitting other than full and open competition.
The statutory authority permitting other than full and open competition for this requirement is FAR 6.302-1 Only one responsible source and no other supplies or services will satisfy agency requirements.
5. A demonstration that the proposed contractor's unique qualifications or the nature of the acquisition requires use of the authority cited.
The BBG networks are globally recognized as trusted news sources and are the leading channels for information about the United States as well as independent platforms for freedom of expression and freedom of press. The BBG knew of no other sources, other than The Associated Press that could provide the amount, type and category of news wire services from the specific geographical regions that it requires, which comports to the highest journalistic standards, and that possesses the capability, capacity, depth and breadth necessary to support the magnitude of the agency's geographical reach, audience size and needs.
6. A description of the efforts made to ensure that offers are solicited from as many potential sources as is practicable, including whether a notice was or will be publicized as required by Subpart 5.2 and, if not, which exception under 5.202 applies.
On September 1, 2017 the BBG publicized to the Government Point of Entry a pre-solicitation notice with a notice of intent to award sole source contracts. The notice invited all responsible sources to submit capability statements, which the agency would consider. Only one response was received, after the closing time of the notice. Notwithstanding the late receipt, the agency considered the submission, but determined that the submitting firm was incapable of providing the required services.
This Justification for Other than Full and Open Competition has been publicized within 14 days after award of the contract.
7. A determination by the contracting officer that the anticipated cost to the Government will be fair and reasonable.
The contracting officer determined that the final negotiated price of the contract was fair and reasonable, and less than what the agency and its networks had paid for the services in the past.
8. A description of the market research conducted (see Part 10) and the results or a statement of the reason market research was not conducted.
The agency issued a request for information (RFI) for news wire services during fiscal year 2016 with the intent of determining whether any of the large news wire services would be capable and open to providing their services to the BBG under an enterprise-wide basis, thereby satisfying the consolidated needs of the BBG and its five networks.
Several news wire agencies responded to the RFI. After conducting further market research and taking other factors into consideration, the agency decided to procure the required services on a non-competitive basis from three of the RFI respondents, which are firms from which the BBG has procured these services in the past.
9. Any other facts supporting the use of other than full and open competition.
The 2017 National Defense Authorization Act authorized the BBG to procure services for journalism, media, production and broadcasting, notwithstanding any other provision of law relating to such acquisition.
10. A listing of the sources, if any, that expressed, in writing, an interest in the acquisition.
11. A statement of the actions, if any, the agency may take to remove or overcome any barriers to competition before any subsequent acquisition for the supplies or services required.
This justification is accurate and complete to the best of the Senior Procurement Executive's knowledge and belief.
Contracting Office Address :
330 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, District of Columbia 20237
Place of Performance :
Washingtion, District of Columbia 20237
Primary Point of Contact. :
|Sep 2, 2017||[Special Notice] News Wire Services|
|Oct 10, 2017||[Justification and Approval (J&A)] J&A Agence France Presse Wire Services|
|Oct 10, 2017||[Justification and Approval (J&A)] J&A Reuters Wire Services|
With Free Trial, you can:
You will have a full access to bids, website, and receive daily bid report via email and web.