REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS
FULL ARCHITECTURAL SERVICES FOR A BAND ROOM ADDITION
SUFFIELD MIDDLE SCHOOL
Town of Suffield, Connecticut
Board of Education
July 7, 2020
Suffield Middle School
Suffield, CT 06078
Proposals will be due at 10:00 AM on July 21, 2020
Town of Suffield and Suffield Public Schools
Suffield Middle School Band Room Addition
Request for Proposals
A. Scope Description:
The Suffield Public School invites proposals from experienced architectural firms to provide full
architectural services for a band room addition to the Suffield Middle School. A conceptual plan has
been completed to date. As indicated on the attached plan diagram, the project scope includes a new
3000 sf band room, a new exterior entrance, limited renovation and reconfiguration to two existing
classrooms and required revisions to the existing paved walkway connecting the rear parking lot with
the school’s front sidewalk. The project construction budget (exclusive of FF&E costs) is $1.8m.
Based on the approved plan diagram, firms shall provide full architectural services including:
Engineering (mep, structural, civil)
Cost Estimate (at end of the SD Phase)
Project development and approval will require interface with the Town’s Permanent Building
Committee, along with presentations to the Board of Education facilities subcommittee and full Board of
Education. Scope should also include presentation and approval at a Town Meeting (if required).
Interested firms must submit one hard copy and one digital pdf copy (on a flash drive) to the office of
the Business Manager, Suffield Public Schools, 350 Mountain Rd., Suffield, CT 06078 by 10:00 am on July
21, 2020 at which time they will be publicly opened and the names of the firms submitting shall be read
aloud. Proposals transmitted by fax or email will not be accepted. All proposals must be in a sealed
envelope marked on the front with the name of the project (ASMS Band Room Addition) and the name
of the architectural firm. All questions related to the RFP must be submitted via email to Bill Hoff at
firstname.lastname@example.org by 3 pm July 14th.
B. Information Required for Proposal
In order to expedite review of Proposals, please provide the following information in an 8.5 x 11 format
in the order listed below:
1. Cover letter signed by Principal-in-Charge of the lead firm (not to exceed 2 pages) describing in
narrative form your firm’s qualifications and reason for selection.
2. Statement identifying name and address of firm, primary contact person and contact person’s
phone number and email address.
3. A brief overview and history of firm.
4. Examples of relevant projects your firm has completed (up to 5 total) in the last six years.
Provide construction budget, final construction cost, sf size, individual name and contact info of
Owner, and name of construction firm. Indicate if any claims, disputes or arbitration
proceedings have occurred on any of these projects. Identify if they were between the
Owner/Architect or Owner/Contractor and provide the status of each.
5. Organizational chart identifying overall architectural and consultant team (listing individual team
members and role by firm).
6. Resumes of key team members assigned to the project.
7. Describe Design Team’s ability to control and maintain project costs, quality and schedule.
8. Detailed project schedule from date of award to completion of construction documents (bid
documents). For the development of the schedule, assume an, August 4th SD start date.
9. Three project references. Provide name, title and contact info.
10. Additional information which may be useful to submission. Limit to 2 pages.
11. Proposed fee schedule broken down as follows:
a. Schematic design with cost estimate
b. Design development
c. Construction documents
e. Construction administration (including close-out).
h. Geotechnical engineering
i. Reimbursable expenses estimate:
C. Additional Notes:
1. Potential hazmat testing and associated material removal shall be the responsibility of the
2. Hard copies of existing school drawings will be provided to the successful firm.
3. AIA B201-2017 shall be the contractor agreement form between the Architect and the Suffield
4. Intended construction delivery is: Design, Bid, Build with a General Contractor.
5. Any questions associated with the RFP must be submitted in writing by July 14th as noted above.
Under no circumstances may an applicant contact a member of Suffield Middle School, the
Suffield Public Schools, the Suffield Board of Education or Suffield Board of Selectman regarding
the RFP prior to the RFP closing date.
D. Evaluation Criteria
Selection of a firm will be the responsibility of a committee consisting of Town designated
representatives based on the RFP submission and potential interview presentations with an invited
shortlist. Selection criteria includes the following:
1. Firm Experience and experience of primary team members
2. Firm’s understanding and approach to the project.
3. Firm’s record on cost control
4. Project Schedule
5. Clarity, Organization and effective presentation of proposal materials.
7. Proposed fee schedule.
E. Award Considerations
The Town may reject any or all proposals or submittals for such reason as it may deem proper or
for its sole convenience. The Town reserves the right to not accept any proposals. In acceptance
of proposals or submittals, the Town will be guided by consideration of the interests of the
Town. The Town also reserves the right to negotiate further with one or more of the firms as to
any features of their proposals or submittals and to accept modifications of the work and price
when such action will be in the best interests of the Town.
The individual signing this submittal hereby declares that no person or persons other than
members of his/her own organization are interested in this Project or in the contract proposed
to be taken; that it is made without any connection with any other person or persons making a
proposal for the same work and is in all respects fair and without collusion or fraud; that no
person acting for or employed by the Town of Suffield is directly or indirectly interested therein,
or in the supplies or works to which it relates or will receive any part of the profit or any
commission there from in any manner which is unethical or contrary to the best interests of the
Town of Suffield
Unless otherwise noted within a proposal, proposals received in response to this document,
including proposed fee schedules, are assumed to be valid and binding for sixty (60) days from
receipt of the proposal. If award is not made within such time, the proposal can be deemed to
be either no longer valid, or can be extended with mutual consent of the Town and the firm
submitting the proposal.
Any contract resulting from this solicitation shall be governed by the laws of the Stateof
Connecticut. Documents/reports/data become property of the Town of Suffield.