1401 West Pecan
Pflugerville, TX 78660
REQUEST FOR QUALIFICATIONS
Architectural Design Services
TERMS, CONDITIONS, SPECIFICATIONS
AND BID FORMS
PROPOSALS ACCEPTED UNTIL:
2:00 p.m. on September 17, 2018
1401 West Pecan Street
Pflugerville, TX 78660
Craig Pruett, Director of Purchasing
SPECIAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS
INTRODUCTION AND BACKGROUND INFORMATION
Pflugerville Independent School District (known herein as Pflugerville ISD or the district) has an
enrollment in excess of 26,000 students in grades pre-kindergarten through twelve, on thirty
The district seeks statements of qualifications from firms capable of performing Architectural Design
Services for construction projects that may be approved as part of the district’s 2018 bond package.
SCOPE OF WORK
In November 2018, the district plans to ask the public to approve a bond package in the amount of
$332,000,000. If performance is satisfactory, Pflugerville ISD may, at its discretion, elect to
continue using the awarded vendor(s) for additional future unknown projects, if services rendered
and fees charged are acceptable to the district.
The firm selected by the District will be expected to provide the following services under minimum
b. Multiple preliminary designs
c. Civil engineering
d. Landscape design
e. Architectural interior design
f. As constructed record drawings
g. Architect’s coordination of the Owner’s consultants
h. Telecommunications/data design
i. Security evaluation and planning
j. Multiple bid packages
k. Historic preservation
The awarded firm will be on call to attend Board meetings, with adequate notice provided by the
Board President, Superintendent, Chief Operating Officer or Designee.
The awarded firm must be responsive to telephone calls and requests from District representatives.
This district reserves the right to award in any manner deemed to be in the best interests of PfISD.
The total value of awarded contracts may vary based on annual needs.
The warranty, general, special terms and conditions, insurance, submittal documents and
specifications as stated herein shall apply and shall not be nullified, voided or altered in any way
by the inclusion of the Proposer's pre-printed forms with this proposal or any other document
submitted during, delivery of product, invoicing, acknowledgements letters, emails, faxes, routine
communications between the contracted parties, of subcontract employees, or third parties unless
specifically acknowledged and agreed, in writing by PfISD.
10. During the term of the contract, items that may not have been included in the initial proposal may
be included by mutual agreement of the successful contractor and the District as various needs
11. Any additional agreements/contracts to be signed by PfISD shall be included with the proposal.
12. Subcontracting of any portion of required services will not be allowed, without the prior consent of
SUBMITTAL OF QUALIFICATIONS
13. Qualifications may be submitted until 2:00 p.m. (local), Monday, September 17, 2018 to the
Purchasing Department, Pflugerville ISD, 1401 West Pecan, Pflugerville, Texas 78660. No late,
electronic or faxed submissions will be accepted.
14. This bid opportunity is prepared as a request for qualifications and will not be publicly read aloud.
After a contract is awarded, tabulations may be requested.
15. Qualifications are to be sealed and clearly marked “Architectural Design Services, RFQ# 19-
001CP”, on the outside of the envelope.
16. Vendors shall submit one (1) original, and s i x (6) identical copies of the proposal. Vendors
shall also submit electronic copies of their response on two USB flash drives.
17. Submittals are to be sealed and clearly labeled as “original” or “copy” and must include the bid title,
bid number, due date and time of opening. Failure to follow these instructions may result in
rejection of your response.
18. Upon receipt of qualifications, PfISD may request additional information, including product or
service presentations, as deemed appropriate by PfISD.
19. The State of Texas does not employ a resident preference; however, it does employ a reciprocity
rule. Offerors whose principal place of business is located in a state which gives preference to
residents are subject to the same restrictions when submitting an offer with an entity of the State
20. The deadline for submitting questions is 12:00 pm CST, September 10, 2018. Questions should
be submitted by email and addressed to the Purchasing Office to Craig.Pruett@pfisd.net. Answers
to questions shall be made public by addenda to be posted on the district’s website by the end of
business on September 12, 2018. Answers shall be posted at http://cms.pfisd.net/Page/259.
21. Questions will not be accepted by phone. Pflugerville ISD will only respond to questions
submitted as directed above.
22. The following timeline will be used (subject to change):
Vendor Questions Due
Answers Posted by
Proposal Awarded (Anticipated)
Awards Posted (Anticipated)
August 28, 2018
September 10, 2018 @ 12:00 pm
September 12, 2018 @ 5:00 pm
September 17, 2018 @ 2:00 pm
October 18, 2018
October 19, 2018
At Superintendent’s Discretion
PERMITS AND LICENSES
23. Firms should be fully licensed to complete all work required. Copies of all applicable licenses
should be provided with your response.
AWARD OF CONTRACT(S)
24. It is the intent of Pflugerville ISD to award multiple contracts to fulfill the requirements of this RFQ.
25. A one-year contract is contemplated with an option for four (4) additional one-year extensions,
subject to the annual review and approval by the Board of Trustees, the satisfactory negotiation of
terms including a fee acceptable to both the District and the selected firm, and the annual budget
appropriation of District’s funds. Both parties must agree in writing for each annual extension.
26. If the Respondent requires the District to sign a separate contract, that contract must be included
with the Qualifications submittal. Any separate contracts must include all provisions of this RFQ,
either by reference or specific inclusion.
27. The contents of the RFQ shall become part of any resulting agreement. The terms and conditions
specified in this RFQ shall be used as a basis for a contemplated agreement. Failure of a
Respondent to accept these obligations may result in rejection. Any damages accruing to the
District as a result of a Respondent’s failure or refusal to execute an agreement may be recovered
from the Respondent.
28. The District may negotiate with a Firm or Firms, judged to be the most capable, competent and
qualified, to arrive at a fair and reasonable fee for the services required. However, the District
reserves the right to recommend award without negotiations.
29. The District reserves the right to accept or reject any or all offers, to waive informalities, and to
accept offers that are deemed by the District to be most favorable to the District.
30. Demonstrated abilities in designing new and renovation education projects
including quality, size, and type of projects previously undertaken
Experience and qualifications of key personnel to be assigned projects
Availability and accountability of the respondent’s firm/team
Past experience with PfISD
Demonstrated capability to design projects within an agreed upon budget for construction 1-05
Demonstrated capability to design projects within an agreed upon time frame
Proof of professional licenses required to complete contemplated services
Highest possible score
SUBMISSION OF QUALIFICATIONS STATEMENTS
31. Awarded vendors will be expected to provide goods and services as specified within this document. Proposing
vendors may use additional pages, and submit additional information as needed.
32. By submitting a response, each firm agrees to waive any claim it has or may have against the District, or its
employees arising out of or in connection with the administration, evaluation or recommendation of any
contract related to this process.
33. Responses shall contain the following information and shall be submitted in the order shown below. Please
address each section in your statement of qualifications and divide each section of your response with
a. A cover letter including the name, address, telephone number, contact person, and title of the
firm representative authorized to respond on the firm’s behalf.
b. A brief history of the firm (including how long the firm has been in business).
c. Educational architectural design services experience for all grade configurations.
d. Experience with school districts in the last 10 years.
e. Recent work experience with PfISD.
f. Firm’s ability and capacity to perform the work. List the firm’s current workload and the firm’s
availability to commence services immediately after being selected by the District.
g. Key personnel/staff to be assigned to this project, including consulting engineers. List any and
all Texas licensed MEP, civil and structural engineers.
h. The education, experience, capabilities, and accomplishments of the key design team
members who would be assigned to projects. Include brief resumes of these personnel.
i. Demonstrated capabilities related to energy and resource conservation. This may include
LEED certificates other sustainable design credentials and/or examples of sustainable design
j. A list of projects involving new construction and renovation of existing educational facilities
that have been successfully completed. The list shall indicate the name, owner, owner’s
contact information, designers, start and completion dates, size, budget, final cost, cost
overrun, and a brief description of each project. Identify projects that have been designed but
have not been built.
k. A list of clients that are most comparable to Pflugerville Independent School District in size
and complexity, denoting whether they are active or inactive clients at the time of Proposal
and current clients assigned to attorney/s to be assigned to PfISD. Please include a general
description of types of services performed, types and size of issues involved and the number
of years served for each.
l. A minimum of 5 references comparable to Pflugerville ISD. References should include the
district name and contact information for an individual with direct knowledge of similar work
done with Texas School Districts.
m. Statement of firm’s unique qualifications.
n. Organizational Chart and summary report reflecting the respondents approach and factors to
be considered designing school projects. Description of planned effort to provide quality work,
meet schedules, and work within an agreed upon budget for implementation.
o. Experience/methodology of meeting tight time-lines and budget considerations.
p. Other advantages offered by your firm that would benefit PfISD.
q. Identify all projects within the past ten (10) years on which you rendered professional services
and a claim (litigation, mediation, arbitration, etc.) was asserted. For each project please state
the nature and description of the claim, including alleged claims for professional errors and/or
omissions, contract extras, delay, disruption or impact claims, time extension claims, or other
similar claims. You must also provide the identity of the owner, architect or consultant, and
contractor. Identify the party alleged to be at fault and the disposition of the matter.